Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Painting Progress - 20100602

Despite the long weekend, I got next to nothing done, hobby-wise.

I'd really hoped to bang out a lot of progress on my second quartet of Bloodcrushers... but it wasn't meant to me.  They've been basecoated Bestial Brown, but my drybrush of Shining Gold wasn't as thorough as I thought it was; every few minutes while highlighting the gold, I'd find another spot that needed touching up.  This would do a fantastic job of breaking my momentum.


On Monday (last Monday, not yesterday), I did manage to finish my Witchling Stalkers.

The brown is a bit more khaki than I'd like, and the red isn't as deep, but it'll do.  Both sections of cloth got a glaze: my first attempt at doing anything more involved than a simple wash/watered down wash.  This time, I threw in some matte medium (so it was 1:1:2 GW wash, matte medium, water).  Looking at the models, I can see no evidence of the glaze... but at the same time it was quite obvious when I set a glazed model next to an unglazed one.

For the metal, I used P3's Armor Wash, a favorite of mine that I've shifted away from lately.  I threw in a little Leviathan Purple for the hell of it: I'm pleased with the result.

I also tried my hand at verdigris for the first time, using B.Smoove's technique.  It didn't come out all that well: not enough Goblin Green, for one, and the consistency of the whole thing was off... either too thin or not thin enough; I'm not sure.  It'll take some more fiddling, I think.

I've also made some progress in how to do macro photography with my new camera; the short version is I'm going to have to build a lightbox, or these pictures are going to continue coming out funny looking.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Powered by Blogger