First off: I'll be building two. The actual herald will be the Forgeworld Herald of Khorne. They'll be pulled by Chaos Lord Juggernauts. The aesthetic of my army is, I think, somewhat clear, and it doesn't really allow for wood, which makes things hard.
I've looked really closely at all of the different chariot kits GW puts out... and found them all wanting.
- I have a Chaos Chariot, and probably track down a second one without too much heartburn. But it's wood. It'll look weird painted brass and iron. I could fill in the woodgrain, maybe, but I don't know quite how that'll work out.
- The High Elf Chariot isn't bad, but it's way too delicate.
- The Tomb King Chariot is much better. Still a bit delicate, but it's a lot closer.
- The Beastman Chariot's no good.
- Matt H. has used the Corpse Cart for his Chariots, but it's not going to work for me.
- The Dark Elf Chariot is probably the best of the batch, but it's OOP and a bit too elvish.
So, this is what I've got so far.
The front of the chariot is a Defiler "knuckle" left over from building Soul Grinders. The base is just plasticard. The rails are rounded spiked arcs from the Chaos Vehicle sprue. The wheels are from the Chaos Chariot; I've yet to find wheels I like better, so I'll be filling in the woodgrain. I'm sticking a Khorne symbol on the front, and a hook on the side. I'll run round plasticard tubes out that will hook into the holes Juggernaut's shoulders.
Balance is off since it's just sort of blu-taced together.
Thoughts? Is it worth the effort? Should I just use the Tomb King Chariot?